Frog Comm's Blog

"Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go."Joshua 1:9

15 August 2007

True Friends


I use the word friend a lot the time to describe an acquaintance of mine. I had an experience last night that got me to thinking about friends and actually how many true friends we have. I know I have had plenty and you have probably to that I thought were friends , but when things got ruff they were no where to be found.
There is this guy that I do consider one of those true friends, that has a friend who has cancer and is in the final stages of his battle with it. My Friend asked some us that have been praying for his friend to go over last night to his house and pray for him. On the way over my friend keep sharing experiences he and his friend have had over the years and there was no doubt about the closeness of their relationship. I’ve told a few people today that I have felt like I needed to pray for forgiveness for jealousy because I wished I could have had him as a friend also.
Hearing about their friendship got me to thinking about a few of my close friends and an experience we had back in 2005. One of my buddies got tickets to a practice round for the Masters Golf tournament. For those of you who aren’t into golf this is the Super Bowl, the World Series, the Final Four, the NBA Finals of golf. You can’t just buy tickets you are in a lottery and my friend had been in it over ten years before his name was drawn and can you believe he picked me for one of the four tickets he got. Ok back to the story I was getting fired up thinking about it. We went over a couple of days early to pick up the fourth of our foursome that worked as a house parent at a children’s ranch just north of Atlanta.
We were spending the night at the ranch, that afternoon after we had played a round golf our buddy gave us a tour of the ranch. We stopped by their small chapel (the above picture). We were inside just looking around and we started to talk and before you knew it we each had opened up and shared some tough struggles we each were going through individually. We prayed for each other, encouraged each other. I’ll have to stop there because I do not have the words to describe the experience it was one of the spiritual moments that are indescribable. Let’s just say, man this is hard to say, that experience that happened in that little chapel on Chestnut Mountain in Georgia towered over the Masters. It was the highlight of the trip.
Those true friends are blessings from God, let your true friends know how you fill about them today don’t wait till tomorrow, we are not guaranteed tomorrow.
As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another. Proverbs 27:17

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing. My Dad would have been honored to be a friend of yours, also.

Tommy sent this to me and as I am sitting here getting ready for my father's funeral it was a pleasure to read your words.

Love,
Michelle White Clark