Frog Comm's Blog

"Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go."Joshua 1:9

21 August 2007

Match


I struck a match this morning (I don’t smoke for the record) watching how fast it burned and was gone made me think of few scriptures. The first one is Psalm 39:5 You have made my days a mere handbreadth; the span of my years is as nothing before you. Each man's life is but a breath. The other one was 1 Peter 1:24 For, "All men are like grass, and all their glory is like the flowers of the field; the grass withers and the flowers fall.
I guess since I’m at the halftime of my life (the 40s) I’m realizing how fast our lives do pass. Something God has really impressed on me the past few months is best said in the words I heard Dr. David Jeremiah use, he said: “Everything we go through here on earth is temporal and because we have Jesus none of it can effect what we have in him as it is eternal”. That may not be the exact quote, but I think you get the message I hope.
Our Pastor preached this past Sunday on Heart and Soul (check out his Monday morning blog on the subject by hitting the link) about misplaced passions. What hit me was how much emphasis I tend to put on temporary things. While Dr. Jeremiah’s words were meant to encourage us when we’re going through trials here on earth. I can see that temporal also applying to those passions my preacher preached about, those that I/we think are so important and go to extremes just for the moment. Yet that which is eternal I seem to want to put it on the back burner. God thank you for the peace and hope I have in you of an eternity that is unimaginable and Father forgive me when I get caught up in the temporal stuff, help me to focus on the eternal.

No comments: