Frog Comm's Blog

"Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go."Joshua 1:9

09 August 2007

Sentenced


With my new job I get to see folks who have been charged of a crime, those you have been sentenced and those who have been found not guilty every day. A few days ago I had an experience with one individual that has really stuck with me. He was sentenced and was just waiting in our facility to be moved and serve his sentence. He got frustrated and made some statements to the effect of just move me I’m ready to go to prison and used other expressions to describe our facility that I won’t use here. The very next day I got a call that he was to be moved the next day. I called him in to tell him and the expression on his face was indescribable. It clearly showed disbelief and fear. I was selected to do his transport the next day and during the whole 4 hour trip he was speechless which was totally out of character for him. It was so evident that the reality of sentence was upon him and he was not ready to deal with it. Even though he had made statements he was ready and tried to be tough about it, when the reality set in he was full of fear and defiantly not ready for it.
I couldn’t help but think of the sentence that I have been given as a man. Therefore, just as sin entered the world through one man, and death through sin, and in this way death came to all men, because all sinned. Romans 5:12. Then I couldn’t help but think of the amazing grace of my God, and the fact that I will not have to serve that sentence. For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord. Romans 6:23. For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. John 3:16

Oh Father, be with those who know of our sentence as man, but do not take it serious like the guy I talked about above. Father forgive me when I take the “pardon” for granted and lose sight of your amazing grace that let’s me know I will not have to serve my sentence. Amen

1 comment:

John said...

WOW! This one needs to be heard by lots of folks. Thanks for a sobering and challenging reminder...